Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Guilin, Day 2

I woke early and struck out for Banyan Tree park where I had read people do tai ji and qigong in the mornings. As I walked the city streets I was reminded that my China is really found in the morning, before the general populace is awake. In the silence of the morning there is an undercurrent, a vibration that is easily tapped into. Walking into the park I immediately saw a few people through the mist practicing qigong amongst the trees. Banyan Tree park is home to a 1000 year old banyan tree, and encompasses three connected lakes. I walked for a bit wanting to find a peaceful spot, but also being careful not to take someone else's regular practice spot. My experience has been that general tai ji classes and dance classes seem to start around 7:30am, more experienced practitioners, and the teachers who are looking for solitude are out between 6:00 and 7:00am. 



I found a spot along the lake, looking out at the karsts shrouded in mist, and not too far away from a qigong practitioner. He appeared to be doing some sort of movement based qigong set combined with a Six Healing Sounds derivative. I began to practice Yang and Chen styles, and listened to his chanting. About halfway through my practice another guy down the way starting singing a Chinese folksong. It echoed across the water, and once again China worked its magic on me. I found my rhythm and worked through my practice sets. 



Returning to the hotel, Melody and I made our way out to find breakfast. I took her back towards the lakes I had just found, searching for some peace, and we found it - at Starbucks. Normally, in China I might run into Starbucks for a chai, or to check my email, but this morning we sat, like good Americans, had our coffee and latte's while we made a plan for the day. It was a nice reset. 



This particular Starbucks was attached to a department store, so I figured a little retail therapy couldn't hurt. We walked through the various floors amazed at how expensive American and European items are in China. As an example, a pair of New Balance sneakers are $225 here, while their fake counterparts New Bailone are $65. Same logo, probably the same factory. Melody was shocked to see that Japanese and American makeup was as expensive and even more expensive here than they are in the U.S. 

The makeup counter also had some Chinese herbs which was cool. They sell reishi spore oil for skin rejuvenation, just as our company does in the states, and it was also more expensive!!



The most fun we had was looking at, and taking pictures of all the crazy t-shirts with poor translations, and seemingly random worlds printed on them. There will be a Facebook and Instagram post as soon as we are free of the Great Firewall. 


The rest of the day was spent quietly walking around the city, eating, drinking, and remembering what it's like not to be studying for school or the state boards...

No comments:

Post a Comment