Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Chinese medicine clinical rotation Part I of IV

When I decided to apply to a Chinese medicine degree program in China I started searching around the internet but there wasn’t a lot of information out there, just some poorly translated Chinese university sites, and a few blog posts about shorter clinic trips. Off course there are lots of expat tidbits from people who teach foreign language in China or that have other gigs, but no one really described the experience of working in Chinese clinics with a university long-term, or even how to begin. I had visited Nanjing TCM University years ago with the idea of completing my masters studies there, but it was kind of an administrative nightmare. For the doctoral degree I was lucky in that Five Branches University offers a dual degree program and guides you through the entire process with relative ease. Since I was accepted into the program last spring I’ve received a lot of questions about doctoral programs, traveling in China, observing in Chinese clinics, and how it all works. I broke this out into 4 parts so it might be a little more digestible :)

To my knowledge, only Five Branches offers this level of integration as a dual degree program. Other schools have externships and shorter clinic trips, but Five Branches has a relationship with 5 different Chinese universities that not only offer an externship, but also fully accredited degree programs. With the timing of my program and degree requirements, Zhejiang University was my school of choice.


Application and acceptance is relatively straight forward on the American side. But as with most Chinese administrations, communication is difficult, and getting the answers you need may take more than a few emails, even if your American admin is handling the initial process. As mentioned in my last post, I arrived in Hangzhou with little more than an acceptance letter, visa, and contact emails. I knew nothing of my schedule or even what I might be doing here. But once I landed, I was thrown into the fire. Arrived on a Thursday night, met with my advisor on Friday, and on Saturday I saw over 100 patients during grand rounds…

If you haven’t traveled to China before, I would highly suggest a tourist oriented trip before coming here for a medicine program. It can be a lot to take in. Get used to the people, the food, the weather, in short get grounded. Once you arrive for your internship you will be running most days.

Here are some random thoughts I’ve had over the weeks, hopefully you may find it useful...

The view from the trail to Baopu Daoist Temple


Pollution?

Pollution in China gets a lot of press around the world, and especially in the USA, but I honestly have to say apart from Beijing I haven’t experienced debilitating pollution in the 11 years I’ve been traveling around China. I know its here, I’ve had some difficult days in Beijing (bronchial infection is 2008), but I’m more worried about second hand cigarette smoke than I am about pollution. The air in Hangzhou has been fine, and I never think twice about it. Even in Nanjing, where I’ve heard pollution can be bad, I’ve never experienced it in at least 6 different trips there. On one spring trip last year the blossoms on the trees were torture, but not the pollution. If you can handle the worst of Los Angeles I think you’ll be fine in most of China. 

Water

No one drinks from the tap in China. Boiled and bottled water everywhere. So for the environmentally conscious it can be difficult, you’re just going to use a lot of plastic. There are recycling bins on the streets though. I have one large bottle in my kitchen for tea/cooking and brushing my teeth, and usually carry another around with me. I’ve never been sick in China, but why risk it?

Cleanliness out on the street is, interesting. Again if you haven’t been to China be prepared. All bodily functions are on display, but probably the hardest to get used to is hacking and spitting. Starts early in the morning (its actually my alarm clock), and continues throughout the day. I have seen the most elegantly dressed Chinese woman, standing on a corner with friends on their way out for the night, fly an air-hanky right into the street. But it’s usually men that lead the hack-pack.

And did I mention the smoking? Out of control, worse than any country I’ve been to. Finding a breath of fresh air can actually be difficult. Of course there is zero awareness, people light up in hospital waiting rooms, and restaurants right next to a no-smoking sign. I’ve seen chef’s light up in a restaurant cooking my food…



Be sure to click forward to part II

No comments:

Post a Comment