Thursday, November 19, 2015

Nanjing, day 2

Saturday morning, I practically ran to the park. As I entered I could already see him in standing meditation about 30 minutes before the usual 7:30am class time. As I got close he opened his eyes and did a double take as he saw me approaching. He broke into a huge smile and a look of disbelief. My eyes welled up with tears, and I tried my best to hold them back. As I spoke the word "shifu," I completely broke down, the tears flowed, and we bowed to each other. I tried to explain where I had been, about my divorce, and that I was sorry I had been away for so long. He rubbed my shoulders warmly, touched my heart for a moment, and then with very little hesitation said "show me the form." I tried my best to settle down and I showed him the Chen 18. I moved slowly, and powerfully when needed, and put all of my heart into the form. When I finished he bowed and said "very good, beautiful, now the Yang 24." I moved through the next form, but I could feel that I was all over the place, my body would not listen, and I stumbled. With a smile we worked through corrections until his regular students started to show up. 

Before his class officially started I presented a gift of wine, and he said "No, I cannot accept. You will give it to Da Shifu." I wasn't clear on what exactly he was saying. I knew Da Shifu probably meant his teacher, but I was struggling. A few moments later an older man walked into the park, and we ran over, Shifu telling me to bring my things. Introductions were made, and I gave the bottle of wine to Da Shifu. He politely refused a couple times, and then accepted the gift. Shifu gave him a quick explanation of what I was working on, and then I was asked to perform the Chen form again. I was finally settling in, and feeling grounded in China as I moved through the form. By the time I was done a crowd had gathered and there were applause from some, including Da Shifu. Without a word my teacher left. Da Shifu broke out a small photo album of his teachers, and all the champions he had trained. He explained where he learned each of the styles he teaches and from who, and we exchanged business cards. In the age of Youtube masters, and self-proclaimed gurus this was a welcome change. By now his students were showing up, and for the next two hours I was treated to performances of different forms from his many national champions. In all of my years of martial arts training I had never seen anything like this - not at tournaments or even on video. Such power and grace, I was blown away. I had to perform a few forms as well, and I was completely humbled by their acceptance and approval of my practice. And then, finally, he asked through one of his students who could translate a bit, "what do you want to learn?" I was surprised, as I still wasn't clear on what was happening or the protocol. I said "anything you want to teach." He decided on a Chen broadsword form. One of the senior students loaned me a sword and we worked on the beginning of the form. I pushed myself into very low stances as I tried to impress him and the members of the class. He also took the opportunity to teach one of his other students the form at the same time. I later learned he is currently on the Chinese national team as well. That entire morning he chastised the student whenever my stances were lower or I picked up the movements quicker. I felt terrible, and really did not want this guy to hate me. Da Shifu's favorite past time seemed to be getting his students into beautifully low stances, telling us to hold them while he runs to get his camera and snap some pics.

We parted ways at about 11:30, with instructions that I would buy a broadsword that afternoon, and return the next morning for a full day of training. I looked around for Gao Shifu, but he had moved his class and I couldn't find him to thank him, or even ask for an explanation of what had happened. I assumed this was a good thing, and an honor. I just didn't understand how or why it happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment